Do I Need A Trust?
5 Reasons A Living Trust Might Not Be Necessary
1. Probate is not that expensive if you have a good will and competent counsel.
2. Living trusts are not needed by most individuals for estate tax planning.
Unless you have an estate worth more than $11 million per person, you have no need for a living trust to avoid estate taxes. Even if you do have an estate large enough to trigger estate tax considerations, you do not always have to have a living trust to minimize estate tax liability.
4. Most probates of properly drawn wills do not require a lengthy process.
5. If assets are not added to the trust as they are acquired, the purpose of having a living trust can be defeated.
3 Reasons You Might Need A Trust
1. You own property in different states or many counties in Texas.
Without title to real property in other states being held in the living trust, you might be compelled to probate a will in all the different states in which such assets exist.
3. You want to provide special conditions on receipt of assets that you prefer remain private.
How To Decide If A Trust Is right for you:
- Seek out an estate planning attorney with knowledge of Texas law to draft the documents.
- Prepare a full summary of your assets to take to the attorney when you meet.
- Advise the attorney of any special situations in your family that might benefit from having a trust.
- Avoid using standard forms, kits, or computer software that is one-size-fits-all.
*The free consultation does not cover actual review of documents or giving legal advice on a specific situation.
It was way past time to finally get our Wills completed. This was something that was extremely complicated for us, but Adair and her assistant never made us feel like we were bothering them...and we (I) bothered them...a lot! Things were explained to us in a way that we could understand easily. Extremely professional and knows her stuff!
Trying to get our LLC changed over after moving to Texas was complicated, but Adair Buckner made the process so simple! We just gave her the details, and she handled everything quickly and professionally. Thank you, Adair, for making this part of our move stress-free!
We appreciate Adair Buckner’s professional and personable service. Our legal needs were met promptly and succinctly. We would not hesitate (and do!) recommend her to our family and friends.
Adair was very helpful in guiding us through this process of creating our estate planning! She and her assistant were friendly to us each time we met them in their office. I would highly recommend Adair Buckner as an attorney of choice!
I needed an attorney I could trust who could handle my legal concerns regarding my mother’s Living Trust. Adair Buckner firmly set things right. She was my voice when I had none and knew how to protect me in the midst of negative chaos. I recommend Adair to anyone seeking justice.
It is a great pleasure working with Adair. She is very professional and genuinely concerned about your needs. I have complete faith and trust in Adair and will always work with here for my attorney needs.
Adair is our employment attorney at ROI Online. She is an excellent resource to turn to as we grow and add employees. Adair is not only extremely knowledgeable in her area of employment expertise, but she is also very accessible and quickly responds to our questions and requests.
When my husband passed away, I contacted the attorney that we had used to prepare our wills but was unhappy with his attitude of indifference. I discovered Adair Buckner and all of my issues were resolved. Adair is professional, compassionate, and extremely knowledgeable. She saved me a large amount of money by processing my will in the appropriate manner to best suit my situation.